8/18/2008

SILVER



As in brazing. Steel is very different from silver/gold (I was a goldsmith for a number of years before I went back to school for an industrial design degree.) So I'm finding I'm re-learning what I already know in terms of silver brazing/soldering with steel. Always great to learn new things, to refine your process and perfect your craft. With time, I'm confident I can leave no room for cleanup. I was taught that each step in your process should be held to the highest degree of quality. Every file stroke matters. Each time you perform a task, its in relation to the finished product so less work means more time and a more efficient craft. Each part matters-and this is not just in the design, but in the process of fabrication as well. The end result is not only a reflection of the time you spent but also the time you saved by perfecting your process.